The end of November is nigh and maovember will celebrate with a two-venue event this Sunday that includes a pair of bands, a pie-eating contest and plenty of pizza, beer and wine. The festivities — maovemberfest — will be jointly held by cocktail specialists George’s and speakeasy Fubar, two veteran establishments a few meters apart in the southeast corner of Workers Stadium.
George’s (3 PM to 6 PM): Spend a Sunday afternoon singing along with The Beijing Beatles while enjoying lots of food and drink, including:
- 18-inch pizzas from Kro’s Nest (75 kuai per pie). We will have 20 pizzas, including Pepperoni Explosion, Sausage Fest, Honolulu Hurricane and Veg-Head, at a fraction of their regular price. Each can feed three people. First come, first served.
- Wine from La Cava (25 kuai per glass). La Cava owner Mariano Larrain will be on hand to pour a selection of the wines from his nearby shop.
- Beer from Heineken and Tiger (25 kuai per bottle). If wine isn’t your thing, grab a cold beer while enjoying the Beatles and hanging out with friends. Thank to Kenny Lew for the brew.
Finally, up to five people can each go on stage and sing with The Beijing Beatles. The fee is 100 yuan and, as with the pizzas, beer and wine, all proceeds go to maovember.
Fubar is up next and will host a Two Guys pie-eating contest headed by heavyweights Benny Bongo and Zona — see Maodown at Fubar — at 6:30 PM and tunes by DJ BB Deng. Enjoy tasty beverages along with the entertainment, including:
- Maovember Beer (25 yuan): Vedett has again made specially labeled bottles for maovember and these will be exclusive to Fubar. Want a nice souvenir of the past month — or to just enjoy a nice Belgian beer? Stop by and get one.
- Grace Vineyard People’s Series Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon (25 yuan) from Torres China. Enjoy a few glasses from what is widely deemed the best Chinese winery of the past decade.
- Fu Shots (20 yuan). Fubar will be creating a special shot for maovember.
All proceeds from the beer, wine, shots and pie-eating contest — 100 yuan per person — go to maovember.
Look for more posts on this coming Sunday’s fun fest soon!
Maovember teams restaurants, bars, vendors and customers for good causes. Our 2019 partner is Library Project, which has furnished more than 2000 libraries in rural schools. Learn more about Maovember here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.